Sunday, January 11, 2015

Lists and More Lists!

     I am a master list-maker.  As I plan my house updates, that list begins with "January - steam clean large recliner and sofa, place ads to sell recliner, sofa, treadmill, shower chair, chest of drawers, bookshelves, wheel chair, talking clocks (I expect this list to grow), clean out basement storage, take "stuff" to Good Will."
     These are the first steps in my journey eastward.  I expect bends to appear all along the way.  I find that if you expect them then you are not so distressed if the bend takes you somewhere unexpected, even unpleasant.  I have done previous work on my house and know that there are always bumps and bends and delays.

     But lists always help!  I take great pride and pleasure in being able to
put check marks next to the items on my lists.  When I travel I start making lists months before my departure date and often in different rooms of the house so that I can add to them as I think of things, whether in the bedroom, kitchen, living room or bathroom.
     I was talking to Cindy last week (Cindy is biologically my first cousin, but in every way that counts, she is my sister!) about lists and we laughed about how we'll realize that we accomplished something that day or week that wasn't originally on the list.  So we make sure to add it just so we can take pride in checking it off!!

     The next few months will be filled with more lists:  "scrape ceilings, paint walls, update bathrooms and kitchen, clean carpets, refinish wood floors, replace linoleum, landscape, contact French Consulate, check out house-sitting websites, decide what to sell, what to get rid of, what to store, what to take east with me . . . "
     I'll give you updates on what I'm getting accomplished and checked off my lists, each month.  And how much closer I'm getting to a new home, and new life, a new me!

     And as I write this I am thinking about freedom:  all the freedoms that we in democracies enjoy and perhaps take for granted until something so horrendous as happened in Paris this past week (and 9/11 and the Boston marathon, and many other times throughout history) brings it to the foreground.  How else would writings be available to the masses, even my feeble attempt at this blog? 

     Next week's post will answer the question, "Why would you ever want to live anywhere but the US?!"  Please join me as I "wax philosophical!"  And, thank you for joining me on this journey.  Merci!

No comments:

Post a Comment