Sunday, May 10, 2015

Anticipation and Procrastination

     Yes, I have been channeling Carol King and Scarlet O'Hara this past week.  If  you don't get the reference just ask someone who's over 50!
     What a crazy week of weather we had.  Numerous hail storms mixed in with the rain - even had some snow in the northern part of the city last night.  I am ready for summer!  Every morning I check my vegetable garden to see the newest sprouts or check on the growth of the first ones that peeked through about a week ago.  As they are all root vegetables, except the lettuce (which is thriving despite the hail and freeze last night) they do not seem to be bothered by the strange weather.  I am so anxious to see what my "crop" will yield - potatoes, garlic, shallots, onions, carrots and lettuce.  My neighbor has started some cherry tomato plants for me and will let me know when they are ready to plant.  Last year I planted tomatoes 3 times due to crazy May weather.  So I'm counting on Maggie to let me know when it's safe!

My veggies are looking good!

Flowers close to the house are ok

A columbine bud

     My flower bed is ok.  The buds on the columbines seem so fragile and yet they are still there after the hail.  And even though the peonies were shredded I still see a couple of persistent blooms.  They are such a pretty pink when they are full.  They usually bloom the first part of June and many years I have missed them as that was when I planned my trips to Europe back in my teaching days.  My flower baskets close to the house are ok since they were somewhat sheltered.  It's so nice to see color out there!   I'm tempted to get a rose bush, but I tend to kill them.  They look beautiful all summer but they don't last through winter. 
     So, as Carol King wrote: "Anticipation, anticipation is making me wait; is keeping me waiting."  Waiting for warmer days and flowers blooming and veggies to eat . . .
     I feel like I've become the master procrastinator!  I now have the 8' ladder, however, it is a rather daunting task to climb up there and scrape those 10' ceilings.  I really want to have all the scraping done by the first week in June so I'd better get to it. 

It's a long ways up there!
     But I can always find something else to do!  A visit to the zoo ranks right up there :-)  There's always another book to read (I usually read 3-4 at the same time).  If the sun is shining I'd much rather be outside than inside, as would the dogs!  Kinda hard to scrape ceilings if I'm sitting on the patio, right?

My zoo friend, Asha

3 generations!

Sweet Dembe will be 3 soon

Dembe playing with daddy, Rafiki
      I could live in the Primate House!  ha!  I love seeing the gorillas.  Asha seems to recognize me now and will come sit across from me.  She is the mother to Dembe and the other smaller gorilla, Tumani, in the 3 generation photo.  The gorilla on the top level right is Asha's mother, JuJu.  Yes, we're all on a first name basis now :-)
     So, I need you all to keep me on track!  Keep asking me about the ceilings and the scraping and tell me how wonderful it will all be once it's done.  I used to dread painting, but that's a snap compared to the scraping and prepping.  So now I look forward to painting because that  means I'm at the end of the work for that area.  But "I'll think about that tomorrow."
     On another note, I hope you are all enjoying a wonderful Mother's Day.  Andy treated me to breakfast this morning at our favorite westside cafe, Mountain Shadows.  We've been going there for almost 30 years.  Afterwards we drove to the Garden of the Gods and visited the Trading Post - always a wonderful place to spend a little time.  I had hoped we could do some hiking, but . . . . red mud would not look good on my shoes which would have been covered!
     It's my second Mother's Day without my precious Mom and I know many of you are experiencing the same feeling of missing someone special.  This is also her birthday month (and Andy's!).  She loved Mountain Shadows and the Trading Post so I feel like we honored her by going there today. 
     And so, anticipation and procrastination have ruled over me this past week.  I'm hoping for motivation and inspiration for this coming week!  Keep your fingers crossed!
     As always, I thank you for taking the time to follow my blog.  It means a lot to me.  Merci!

No comments:

Post a Comment