Sunday, June 7, 2015

That Darn Bend!

     Sometimes that bend is not kind!  You're going along just fine, enjoying the scenery and looking forward to the next sight along the road and then you come to an unexpected (and unwelcome) bend that sends you in a tailspin.  Well, it wasn't all that unsettling except for Andy's gun being stolen out of his locked glove box in his Jeep.  That's a huge tailspin that has left him pretty upset.  And I don't blame him.  He filed a police report, but the chances of them recovering it are pretty slim, I imagine.
     There have been a number of thefts and vandalism lately in our usually quiet neighborhood.  People have even had the milk stolen out of their front porch milk box!  How crazy!  And bikes have disappeared from sheds in people's backyards, UPS packages off of front porches, basically anything that's not nailed down!
     I belong to a neighborhood website and we can share things like that.  Also if people are selling something or looking for something to buy or need help or are offering help.  It's a great service in many ways. 
     Besides Andy's Jeep being broken into, I was having problems with my computer and was afraid it would have to go into the shop.  Fortunately, my friend Chuck, whom I used to teach with, gave me all kinds of suggestions and eventually I got it to working again.  I really love my Sony Vaio laptop and hope to keep it until I'm ready to move to France.  Then I'll probably look for a new laptop.  I've had this one for about 10 years now.
     And my lawn mower died!  I had a little electric mower that worked great for the small area of grass in my backyard.  Most of my yard, front and back, is xeroscaped so it needs very little work.  I took the mower into the Lawn Mower Hospital (yes, that's what it's called) near my house and they said they'd take a look at it.  But yesterday I got the word that it is not able to be fixed!  Darn it!  So, I ordered another little electric mower from Lowe's and can pick it up in a couple of weeks.  With all the rain we've been having, my grass looks like a jungle and Coco gets lost in it - almost!  I actually took my weed eater to it yesterday just to get it down a little.  That was not fun!
     I shouldn't complain about these bends that are not the ones with fun stuff on the other side - we have to take the good with the bad, right?  And certainly (other than Andy's gun being stolen) these have not been earth-shatteringly bad. 
     I'm looking forward to company next weekend.  My cousin, Cindy (who's more like my sister), and her mom, Aunt Mary Ann, are coming to spend the summer at their cabin in Cripple Creek.  I love that they'll be here all summer!!!  And then my cousin, Sara, is going to be at a conference in Woodland Park Wednesday through Friday and she'll be able to be with the rest of us for dinner on Friday - hopefully including my cousins Randy and Lynn who live in Black Forest. 

Me with Cindy in 1962

Me with Cindy at Stonehenge in 2013

     And, I get to spend some time this week with my childhood friend, Karen Vincent.  Karen and I grew up together at the Central Church of Christ here in Colorado Springs.  We have known each other for about 55 years!!!  (I know you're wondering how that's possible when I'm only 39!)  She and I were also college roommates our Senior year at Oklahoma Christian.  She's visiting here from Edmond and we're going to the zoo tomorrow morning. 
     I don't have anything else to report for now.  I have not yet started to paint the ceilings but will try to get going on that this week if I have time between all the fun stuff I have planned - and at some point I must clean my house as Cindy and Sara will be spending Friday night with me.  Can't wait!  That will bring back old times when we were all at Grandma and Grandpa's house in Liberal, Kansas and all us cousins would sleep upstairs on the floor.  However, this time we will each have our own bed :-)

Cousins in 1960 - Cindy is in front with her arms crossed, I'm behind her, and Sara is the naked baby!

     Thank you for taking the time to read this week's post.  I appreciate your comments and encouragement more than you can possibly know.  Until next week I bid you "au revoir" and Merci!

No comments:

Post a Comment