Monday, November 16, 2015

"Fluctuat nec Mergitur"

     Just a few thoughts and then some photos regarding one of my most favorite cities in all of Europe - Paris!  The atrocities that happened Friday and the determination of the French to not be defeated by terrorists is reflected in the Paris city motto:  "Fluctuat nec Mergitur" which is Latin for "Tempest Tossed but not Sunk".

     This motto and coat of arms was first used in the 1300s and since then Paris has been under attack many many times.  Here is a short list:
1400s - The Bubonic Plague kills one third of the population
             The Hundred Years war
 1500s -The Wars of Religion  (Protestant vs Catholic)
1600s - Invasions by the English and the Burgundians
1700s -  Revolutionaries turn Paris into a bloodbath
1800s - Prussians invade
1900s - Germans invade
2000s - IS terrorists

     Paris has long been considered the city of culture, learning, art and architecture, a beacon of civilization in the Western World, the City of Light, and, of course, country of "Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité".  France has one of the longest, strongest democracies and economies in Europe.  It is a country I have come to love over the years, as you all know, and though I am presently in the States, my heart is in France.
     I have been asked if I still want to live there.  Of course!!  Did people stop living in NYC or OKC or Boston or London or Madrid?  Those cities have all had their share of terrorist attacks in the past few years.  It is still my belief that most people want to live in peace with each other and as long as there is that hope and desire then the world is a better place. 
     I thank you for reading my blog.  May I also recommend Rick Steves' facebook page and his commentary on the recent attacks in Paris.  He says it all so well.
     And now for some of my most favorite photos of Paris:

The Sacré Coeur

Le Tour Eiffel

A statue in St Sulpice

Notre Dame

Monet's waterlily panel in the Orangerie

The glass dome of the Galeries Lafayettes department store

Place de la Concorde

A view of the river Seine

An old postcard I found in Paris

    

No comments:

Post a Comment