Wednesday, April 6, 2016

A Plan is Coming Together

     Notice I didn't entitle this "THE plan is coming together"!  I have changed plans numerous times over the past year as I have gathered information about such a big move.  And I'm OK with that.  The timing of this blog post is out of my usual planning.  I didn't get a post done last Sunday and with Cindy coming on Saturday and staying for a week, I won't get one written this coming Sunday.  So, I decided to do one mid-week and count it for both Sundays!
     Here's what's been happening the past 10 days. 
     I interviewed 5 prospective realtors and think I have chosen the one I will hire.  I'm still mulling things over as there were 2 of them that I really liked and who I feel I can work with.  So I'll wait a couple more days to decide.  I did not interview anyone I know personally or who was recommended by anyone I know personally as I don't think it's a good idea to do business with friends - at least not this kind of business where thousands and thousands of dollars are at stake.  I know some people are very comfortable with working with friends, but I can see too many things going wrong with that.  That's just me.
     So by the end of this week I will have hired an agent.  Houses are selling quickly right now and especially in my neighborhood, so I need to have all my ducks in a row (I love that expression) before I put it on the market so I'm not left completely homeless or without any resources.
     Last week I got the new floors laid in the kitchen and the lower level.  I really like the way they look.  The style and colors seem to pull everything together like I want - and hopefully, like a buyer will want.
     I signed the contract to rent a little cottage in SW France from September 1 through April.  I will post some photos so you can see where I will be living.  My plan is for my house to be sold and closed on by the end of June.  So I will try to find some house sitting jobs for a couple of months - either in the States or in Europe before I need to be at my cottage.



My little cottage

Inside my little cottage


Mine is the one on the left



Mine on the left

     I have checked out medical insurance that meets all the qualifications required by the French government in order to apply for a residency visa.  So I will pay for that this next week and have all my paperwork ready to send in in by the end of this month to the French Consulate in LA.  They will then contact me once they receive and process all the paperwork and then I can set up an appointment to be able to get the visa.  I should be able to set that up for the first part of June.
     I have clipped an article about taking your dog to France and all the requirements involved so will start getting CoCo all ready to move.  I have been taking her to more places with me to help get her more comfortable in unfamiliar situations and she's doing better every time which is encouraging to me.
     Beth came over today and we started throwing around ideas for staging the house.  She has such a good eye for that sort of thing and now that I have a storage unit I can start taking things over there so that only those items we will use for staging will remain.
    With Cindy coming to stay for a week, I don't plan to do anything on the house while she's here.  We just want to enjoy each others' company and play!  However, I do think I'll have her help me make a couple of runs to the storage unit.
     I had planned to have a dumpster brought to the house this week, but then I remembered that Andy is in Utah for the last half of the week and I really need him here to help with some of the larger junk that I'm getting rid of.  And Cindy needs to have a place to park so the dumpster will have to wait, probably until I get back from my trip to Delaware for Darra and Gary's wedding.
     So, I don't expect a lot to get done (maybe some packing of boxes that will get put in storage) in the next couple of weeks.  I think it's time for another break in the action!
    But I feel good about what I've accomplished so far and about the plans that are in place now and will be in place by the end of the month.  And now for some more photos of the area near my cottage (which the French call a "gite" - sounds like "jheet")
This is the land of the Muskateers

A mountain pass in the Pyrenees

The medieval town of Larresingle is nearby

Ruins of a Roman Villa are nearby

Beautiful St Pierre Cathedral

The nearby village of Fources

     Until next time, I bid you all a fond "adieu" and thank you so much for reading my blog and for joining me on my journey.  So many of you have left comments on the blog page or in an email or on facebook with encouragement and praise and that means so much.  I really feel like you are all with me and pushing me forward.  Thank you  thank you thank you!  Merci!
     

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have all "your ducks in a row". I commend you in following your dream and signing a lease in France has made that a solid reality dear cousin. Can't wait to see pics of your abode and the surrounding areas. I pray you stay safe and so glad to hear you are taking Coco. Enjoy!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Debbie! It's a little scary, but I'm much more excited than scared. Coco and I are looking forward to our new adventure. You are welcome to come for a visit ☺

      Delete
  2. We are looking forward to welcoming you in our gîte'Candy (and Coco)and hope you will be happy here during your stay.Love your blog and looking forward to hearing more about your preparations for the big move and l'aventure française !!
    Getting ready to welcome our clients for the new season so it it a complete Spring cleaning for each of the gîte, well a refresh really but a pleasure as quite warm today, 19 deg Celsius (of course).....and blue sky of course.....
    Hélène

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just now reading this! It's been a busy past few weeks as this week's blog explains. Thank you so much for reading my blog! I am so excited about being a part of your "gite family" :-) Getting closer every day. I've not been in France in fall and winter so am looking forward to experiencing all the seasons. I will plan to stay through April, if that is still ok with you.

      Delete