Sunday, May 29, 2016

A Contract and Two Hurdles

     The past week has seemed unreal to me.  There were 10 showings for my house - 10 times that CoCo and I had to leave and find someplace to hang out for an hour or so.  The For Sale sign went up Friday afternoon.  The listing didn't get posted on the internet until Monday morning and by Tuesday afternoon I had a contract offer for the full asking price!
     The young couple who want the house have a conventional loan with cash that they will bring to closing.  They have been looking in this area since they moved here about a year ago and were thrilled to see my house on the market and evidently fell in love with it - which is what I was hoping for.  If all goes as planned the closing date will be July 11.
     But sometime this week the first hurdle appears - the Inspection - which I am dreading!  As you all know, I have a 90 year old house and have no idea what they might find as they search for things that need to be done.  My only hope is that a conventional loan is not as strict as a VA or FHA, and the couple really wants my house.  So I'm hoping that whatever may be found will not be a deal breaker.  And as many people have assured me, "everything is negotiable", right?
     I don't know yet which day this week will be THE day, but would appreciate all the positive thoughts you can throw my way and I'll be sure to let you know in next week's blog.
    I hate hurdles, by the way.  When I was in junior high I saw a girl break her arm doing hurdles at a track meet and I have avoided them ever since!  I see hurdles as being something over which I have no control and that makes me really nervous.  I want to be in control!  My stomach is doing flip flops so I need to find things to occupy my mind - like reading constantly! ha!
     My second hurdle, which is coming up quickly, is my appointment at the French Consulate in LA on June 7th to apply for my long term visa.  I am getting all the paperwork together and putting it all in a folder.  It's amazing what all is needed.  And having all the necessary paperwork does NOT guarantee approval for the visa.  So, here again, I'm feeling a lack of control.  And it can take up to 4 weeks before I find out if I have been approved.  Although I have no idea why France wouldn't want me!
     I feel like once these 2 hurdles are over, I will find my path to be much smoother and I'll be less anxious.  Keep your fingers crossed that I don't take up drinking! ha!
     I have lots of things to look forward to this summer. Next Saturday Andy and I are doing the Royal Gorge Zip Line Tour.  It's a series of 9 zip lines that go back and forth across the gorge with short hikes in between them.  We are really excited about doing this as neither of us has been zip lining before.  And we haven't been to the Gorge in many many years and are looking forward to seeing what they've done to rebuild since the wildfire that destroyed most of the buildings there a few years ago.

The Royal Gorge and Bridge

Part of the Zip Line Adventure

     In a sense, the gorge is a physical and tangible "hurdle".  What do you do when you come to that hurdle?  You can go around it sometimes, but the fastest way is just to go over it.  And we'll do that 9 times!  Maybe after that experience the inspection will be a snap.  (I keep telling myself that!)
     Cindy and Aunt Mary Ann are coming back to the cabin next month and Cindy and I have some fun things planned.  I'm sure the summer will speed by as I get closer and closer to leaving for France on August 29.  I'm planning to have a "Moving to France" party sometime towards the end of August.  I'll be sure to let you know as I'd love to see as many friends and family as possible before I follow that path East.
     Next week I'll tell you all about the zip line adventure and the dreaded inspection so stay tuned!  I am so appreciative of all the words of encouragement which have come my way over the past year and a half as I have worked on my house and gone up and over and around those bends to get to this point.  It doesn't seem real yet that my house is sold.  Not sure at what point that will sink in!  But thank you all for being there with me every step of the way.
     Until next week (and that next bend) Au Revoir and Merci!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't done the visa thing (yet) but know people who have. Take every bit of patience that you have. That and your deep love of France and most things French should see you through.
    As for the house inspection, I have been on the sale of more than a couple of houses. You often must negotiate who will pay for the needed repairs, the seller or the buyer, and sometimes you agree to share the cost. So, be flexible, after all, your goal is to sell the house, and you got your full asking price, so you can afford to give a little.
    I, too, love to hide in books, but I find that physical exercise really helps more to calm me. Then I can read. :)

    ReplyDelete