Sunday, October 11, 2015

Reflections of Italy Alphabetically - Part 1

I'm back!!!!!   I've been back a week after spending 17 absolutely wonderful days in Italy - most of the time in Tuscany.  I was trying to figure out the best way to tell you about the trip without it being a chronological journey of Day 1 through Day 17 and decided it might be fun (for all of us!) to take it alphabetically.  So, here are my reflections on my trip from A to Z.

A -
Art: everywhere you look in Tuscany you are reminded of the Renaissance and the power of the Medici family as well as the Catholic church. Art abounds whether it is paintings, sculptures, fountains, city gates, palaces, government buildings, Roman mosaics.  Italy is an art lovers paradise!

A wrought iron doorway

The facade of the Medici palace and the fake David in Florence

A painting inside the Santa Croce church in Florence
 Alabaster:  the tiny town of Volterra sits high above the rich farmland and vineyards encircled by impressive walls and topped with a grand fortress.  It was one of the main Etruscan towns dating back to the 8th century BC!  But today is home to many alabaster carvers.  The rock is abundant in the hills outside the town and many of us bought beautiful bowls or candle holders which show off the skills of these modern artists.
Apes:  (pronounced "ah pays") no, these are not primates, they are tiny trucks that run on 3 wheels that every farmer owns.  "Ape" means "bee" in Italian and these little vehicles buzz all over the countryside.

An Ape - every farmers pride and joy
Abbadia:  the Italian word for "abbey".  These were everywhere along the hiking trails that we took.  The trails were part of an ancient path called the "Via Francigena" leading pilgrims from France to Rome back in the Middle Ages.  The abbeys were built to show the power and also the benevolence of the Catholic church for the faithful pilgrims.

Sant'Antimo Abbey


B -  
Bambino:  I agree with Frances Mayes.  In my next life I want to come back as an Italian baby!  Everyone stops to talk to the family and the baby in the carriage.  Children are catered to as precious gems.  They make a fuss over them and stop in the middle of the sidewalk or market or restaurant to give them kisses!

C -  
Chianti:  the region of Italy that gave its name to the particular type of red wine that is produced here.
Calamari:  I never missed the chance to have fresh calamari with my meal!  Always perfectly cooked.
Cousins:  I was so happy to have my cousins, Cindy and Sharon, along on the trip with me!

With cousins Sharon and Cindy
"C" - FYI, the letter "c" never makes an "s" sound in Italian.  It is always a "k" or a "ch" sound.

D -
Duomo:  this word is used in place of the word "cathedral".  It comes from the Latin word for house as it represents the "house of God" - Domus Dei.  We visited more duomo's than I can count at the moment: the most famous being the Duomos in Florence, Pisa, and Venice.  They are filled with art and awe - true works of faith in every aspect.

The Duomo in Florence
David:  No matter how many times I've seen Michelangelo's statue of David I still am in awe.  When you turn that corner in the Accademia in Florence and see him at the end of the gallery underneath the sunlit dome, it takes your breath away.

Michelangelo's David
E -
Etruscans!: They were the mighty civilization that predated the Romans.  They were contemporaries of the Greeks and in fact traded with them.  They had realistic sculptures and gold coins.  They were warlike and yet valued family as seen in their artwork.  Much of their language is still a mystery.  Most of the hilltowns that we visited had roots dating back to the Etrustcans.

F -  
Fiats and Ferraris: Lots of the first and a few of the second!  The Italians love their cars.
Fountains: every town square (or piazza) had a fountain.  Even in the tiny towns.  Often the fountains were the old wells of the town and still offer good artesian spring water to visitors.

G -  
Gelato is at the top of my list!  I seldom turned down a chance to have this amazing Italian ice cream.  What we call "gelato" in the States pales in comparison.  It is creamy and sweet and melts in your mouth.  Yum!
Gardens:  we walked through fields and vineyards and noticed that just about every house we passed had a vegetable garden and also lots of flowers.  What a wonderful way to live, surrounded by nature and being as self-sufficient as possible.

A lovely pumpkin

Grapes!!!!

      Gattos:  I had fun watching the cats of the towns, neighborhoods, even churches, as they "claimed" their territory and yet were willing to share their space with us.  Most (along with the dogs) were quite friendly.  They even responded to "here, kitty, kitty" which must be a universal call :-)

An Italian "kitty"
H -  
History: it's everywhere.  We walked Roman roads, medieval pilgrimage paths, Renaissance streets.  We were surrounded by civilizations long past who left their marks on the present.  The Italians have an insightful way of bringing the past along with them.  Nothing is ever too old, too out-dated, too mundane.  It makes me wonder what impact on history will our country leave.  Certainly nothing as lasting as the
Italians see every day.

OK, my lovely readers, I will end today's post here and will pick up with the letter "I" next Sunday.  As always, I thank you for taking the time to read my blog.  I plan to start working again on my house.  It's time to paint the addition - ceiling, walls, etc.  I know it won't take that long, I just need to get motivated to get it done.  It is good to be back at home, but I'm always looking ahead to that next trip.  The next one will probably be when I move to France.  I have bought a book on house sitting and will start going through that and making notes.  My updated plan is to have the house ready to sell by February and then we'll go from there.  The journey continues . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment