Sunday, October 18, 2015

Reflections of Italy Alphabetically - Part 2

Ciao a tutti!  (Hello everyone!).  I've been going through all my photos this past week of my 17 day trip and love reliving those days, especially the ones where we walked from hill town to hill town through vineyards and farmland, woods and meadows with hills and sometimes mountains in the background.  It was wonderful!  I shall pick up this week with the letter "I" in my alphabetical journey through Italy.  If you missed "A - H" I invite you to read last week's blog post.

I -
IHS are letters we saw all over the churches and abbeys in Italy.  I finally asked one of our city guides what the letters stand for.  She told us that they are for the Latin phrase "IESUS HOMINUM SALVATOR" which means "Jesus, Savior of Mankind". 

You can almost read the letters IHS on the sun above fake David's head


J -
There is no "j" in Italian unless it is from a foreign word.  Interesting, huh?

K -
Kisses: in Italian they are called "bacci" and they are given on both cheeks as a greeting among good friends.

L -
Leather:  Italy is renowned for its wonderful leather makers.  They are everywhere and at every price.  I love the smell of leather!  And yes, I did buy a leather purse, as did many of the ladies on the trip.
Lace:  the island of Burano in the laguna near Venice is known for its lace making.  They have been making lace and fishing nets (the island is also known for its fishing) for hundreds of years.  I was able to see a few ladies making lace and linens.  My grandmother used to tat lace and so it felt special to see it all over this little island.

The brightly painted houses on Burano



Lamborghinis:  It was wonderful to get a glimpse (they go really fast, you know!) of these awesome cars!

M -
Michelangelo!  Probably my most favorite Renaissance artist, sculptor, architect.  He was a genius in every medium that he attempted.  His David and Pieta, the design of Saint Peter's and the paintings in the Sistine Chapel are beyond compare.  To see his works in reality and not just in a photo is a true pleasure for which I shall always be grateful.

Michelangelo's Pieta in Saint Peter's in Rome


A bronze bust of Michelangelo in the Accademia in Florence

A Michelangelo statue in the Duomo in Sienna      





The Medicis:  There probably would not have been a Renaissance without this powerful family providing the money for the artists and spreading their wealth all over northern Italy.  They married into French royalty and so took the Renaissance to France in the 1500s.  This family provided two popes!
Monte: this word means "mountain" in Italian.  So many of the little hill towns we visited had names beginning with "monte"; Monteriggioni, Montecatini, Montalcino, Montepulciano, Monte Amiata.  Wonderful ancient volcanic crowns.

The almost 6,000 foot Monte Amiata in the clouds

N -
"Naturale":  unless you like fizzy water you need to specify that you want yours "Naturale" - no bubbles!
Nature:  One of the reasons I chose this tour is because I wanted to experience the countryside and nature of Italy.  The beauty of Tuscany surrounded us and was calming and serene as we walked through the woods and fields.

The beauty of the Tuscan countryside

O-
O'Hare:  may I never ever ever again have to fly through Chicago!!!
Olive Oil:  it is abundant all over Italy, fresh and vibrant and tastes green!  The only way to eat fresh Italian bread!  Besides all the vineyards we walked through, we were also often surrounded by olive groves with their silver green leaves, ancient twisting trunks and bright green fruit. 


An olive grove with vineyards in the background

OPERA - this word literally means "work" in Italian.  We associate it with music in this day and age, but originally it was written on structures that were built by the local mason unions starting in the Middle Ages.  You see it everywhere in Italy.  It signifies that a structure was built by city workers.

P -
Pizza:  I love pizza!  In all its forms and flavors.  Italian pizza is fresh and inexpensive and available everywhere.  I would never tire of it, especially the one they call "Quatro Staggione" (Four Seasons) which has four toppings - ham, black olives (sometimes still with the pits), mushrooms and artichoke hearts.  Yum!
In Italy you eat your pizza with a knife and a fork.  Only those uncivilized Americans eat with their hands :-)
Pasta:  I actually got really tired of pasta as it is the first course of every lunch or dinner.  Second course is the meat course with vegetables, but the meal always begins with pasta!
Piazzas:  Every Italian city, no matter its size, has a main piazza or town square.  It is still, as it has been since Medieval times, the center of all town activities whether it is market day or feast day or festival week or a religious parade.  The piazzas are full of life and activity, often with a fountain or well in the center and all the shops and sidewalk cafes radiate around it.



The piazza in Sienna

The Piazza Navona in Rome

Alora, mi bel'amici (And so, my wonderful friends) this concludes Part 2 of my reflections of Italy.  Please join me next week as I conclude the alphabet and the thoughts on my trip.  I hope to start (restart) on the house this week so I can meet my new goal of having all work done by January so I can put the house on the market in February or March depending on how the housing market is doing. 
Merci and Grazie, for reading my blog and joining me on my journey east (towards France, in case you are a new reader!).  I'm more excited all the time.  Until next week . . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment