Monday, January 18, 2016

Collect Moments, Not Things - Like Coats and Shoes and . . . .

     I know this is a topic I've written about a few times before, but it really resonates with me as I get closer to selling (just about) everything and moving to France.  I recently read yet another magazine article about "awe" and "wonder" in our lives and how important they are to our overall health, both physical and emotional.  "Moments of wonder do more than take your breath away.  They can reduce stress, enhance bonding and improve your health," says Jennifer King Lindley, the writer of the article.
     She describes awe as "the mind and body's reaction to being pushed outside of their normal way of looking at the world.  It takes you off autopilot and makes you feel you are in the presence of something bigger than you, but that you are also connected to this bigger thing."  Physically, awe seems to curb the fight-or-flight response.  Emotionally, awe brings us into the moment, you cease worrying about the future or stressing about events in the past.  Your brain focuses on the here and now.
     So, how do we find more awe in our lives?  The article gives seven ideas as to how we can do just that, no matter where we are.
1)  Chase what inspires you.  That could range from the beauties in nature to the astounding accomplishments of others, such as Olympic athletes or those who have overcome handicaps to do wonderful things.  Or beautiful works of art or music. 
Van Gogh's Starry Night - one of my favorites

 2)  Zero in on details.  Look with fresh eyes at ordinary things.  Slow down and examine a flower in detail, or the frost on your windows.  I have a blog friend named Kristin Espinasse.  She writes the blog called "French Word a Day."  I love the way she looks at the world.  She sees the details when I would have just walked on by.  Her photos and commentaries on her everyday life in France inspires me.

A close up of my rose and lavender - I love Spring!

3)  Do something new.  Most of us are so into our daily routine that we just go through the motions most of the time without considering that we could do things a little differently.  Take a different route to work, or home.  Pick up something different for lunch or dinner.  Just a couple of ideas.
4)  Take mini awe breaks.  Use breath-taking scenery as a screensaver.  Or sign up for daily inspirational quotes or images.  Last year I had photos of France and Italy delivered to me every day!

Like this one!  Those colors are amazing!

5)  Try big stuff, too.  The types of experiences that tend to elicit the greatest awe are often dismissed as being frivolous:  traveling, going to museums, gazing through a telescope, sitting on your porch during a thunderstorm.  Such experiences are essential to well-being - so make them a priority!
6)  Spend time with kids.  As a former teacher of adolescents I must admit that this one has me rather apprehensive as I spent 31 years around kids.  But I understand the premise.  Especially being around little kids who find awe in everything.  Playing in the dirt gives them great pleasure.  Remember that feeling as a kid?  Or being out after dark in  the summer playing freeze tag?  Just watching them play can help us remember those feelings of freedom before we started worrying about life.  Maybe that's why I love going to the zoo every week!

Being kids again at the North Pole
I'm in awe of lion family dynamics!

7)  Reflect on past moments of awe.  For me, this is looking through photos of past trips and remembering how joyful I was at seeing that castle, or that cathedral, or eating at that restaurant, or seeing those mountains.  For some it may be remembering the awe of seeing your newborn baby, or having seen a comet streak across the night sky.  When stressed, recall your own personal moments of amazement and enjoy the bliss
     I am at a place in my life where I want to be surrounded by awe every day.  To have new adventures in little French villages.  I am quite happy to get rid of most of my "stuff" and to live out of two suitcases with my little white fluffy dog.  I am still getting rid of things, mostly clothes and shoes, but also some kitchen things and odds and ends of things that have somehow multiplied over the 40 years that I have lived in this house.
     And speaking of the house, the kitchen is almost finished!  I leave for Ohio next week and will be gone for about a week.  So my hope is to have everything in the kitchen done before I leave.  I'm right on track for that.  Yay for me!
     So, my wish and challenge for all of you this week is to find moments of awe.  I'm not saying you all need to sell all your belongings and move to another country!  That's my bliss, not yours.  So, go find your own bliss and follow it and find awe and wonder.  Collect moments, not things.  Thank you for joining me on my journey of following my bliss.  Merci!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment