Monday, January 25, 2016

Firsts

     I wasn't sure what to write about regarding last week.  No big bends or bumps or giant revelations of any kind.  So, I'm just going to start rambling (that's a journey word, right?!) and see where it takes us.  OK? 
     There were a few "firsts" last week so I thought I'd tell you about them - well, first :-)
     When I was at the zoo on Thursday I was disappointed that our big male lion, Abuto, was not in with any of the other lions.  Momma Lomela was with the 3 cubs in the indoor enclosure.   Eventually they let Abuto and Zwena (Lomela's sister) into the outside area where they promptly began "talking" to each other.  You could hear them all over the zoo.  When I saw one of the keepers I asked if they would be putting Abuto in with any of the cubs later in the day and she said they would be doing that tomorrow (Friday).  So guess where I went Friday afternoon! 
     I was rewarded with a wonderful time watching the entire pride all together inside.  The cubs are now seven months old and weigh 100 pounds!  But they are still pretty small and clutsy to be outside in the big area.  Abuto was on the highest perch (you can see that in the photo) with his sons nearby.   Aslan is next to him and Boma is on the next platform down.  Daughter Elsa was hanging out with mom and Auntie Zwena.  Everyone was calm and getting along and I loved seeing them together.  So that was a first for me!  I have seen Abuto introduced to one cub at a time but not all of them together!  That was so awesome.

Abuto and his boys

Aslan and his daddy

     Another first was taking CoCo to agility classes.  She is my little circus dog!  It's no surprise that poodles are often used as circus performers because they are quite athletic and just downright cute!  She had no trouble going over the little jumps and going on the teeter-totter.  She also did well on the ramp.  But she was not too keen on the tunnel.  At first our trainer, Patty, pushed the tunnel (looks like a giant dryer vent) into a small tunnel about 4 feet long and as long as CoCo could see me at the other end she was quite happy to come on through.  But then Patty stretched it out and put a little curve in there and that's when CoCo put the brakes on!  Otherwise she did fine and we're looking forward (I'm speaking for her!) to our next class a week from Friday.

My little circus girl


     I am writing this on my newest computer tryout.  It is the fourth one as I have continued to downsize and I really like this 13 inch HP.  I think it's a keeper!  It will take me a long time to figure out everything on it including Windows 10 so wish me luck. 
     I will not be writing a blog post next weekend as I will be in Ohio visiting my dad's family there, my Aunt Mary and cousin Sharon, her family, and cousin Monica.  It's probably been 15 years since I've been there and I'm really excited about spending time with them and also seeing my grandparents' old home place and the little cemetery at the country church where they are buried.  My cousin Sharon lives outside of Cincinnati and has everything arranged for my week there.  So I will write all about it when I get back.  The photo is an old one.  That's four generations taken in my grandparents' house about 30 years ago.  Grandma (Grandpa was already gone), my dad, me and Andy. 
Four generations in Ohio

     Oh yes!  And I finished the kitchen - walls, ceiling, trim, cabinets, counters, everything!  I'm still waiting for paint to dry so it's not picture worthy quite yet.  I'll include photos in the next post.  Until then, may your pathways be smooth and bump free.  Thanks for joining me on this journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment