Monday, October 31, 2016

American, French, English - 3 Cultures, 3 . . . Languages?

   Happy Halloween, All Saints' Day, All Souls' Day, Day of the Dead and next week is Armistice Day (called Veterans' Day in the US).  As the season changes and the holidays are upon us, I see the melding of cultures in the celebrations that define each country.  Which got me to thinking about me, an American, living in France with English friends.  And all the fun and, sometimes, confusion, that can come from it.
     I'll start with the celebrations.  Halloween has been celebrated by Americans for years!  It's not just the children who enjoy dressing in costumes.  There are always adult Halloween parties with adult "treats" (and sometimes tricks).  I think the Brits have also celebrated Halloween (afterall, the jack o' lantern originated in Ireland), but perhaps not with the wild abandon of Americans.  But it's a fairly new concept to the French.  I was surprised when visiting my new favorite store called GiFi (like a Bed, Bath and Beyond) when I saw a large display of Halloween decorations. 
Halloween Decorations in France


     The big holiday this time of year for most Europeans is November 1, All Saints' Day - La Toussaint.  This is a national holiday - no stores open -  and is spent attending special masses and visiting graves of loved ones and planting or placing mums.  This is the only time of year that one should buy and give mums as they are associated with cemeteries and graves.  Never take mums to a dinner party! 
Mums for the Graves

     It's interesting to me to see the similarities of both these celebrations in the Mexican Day of the Dead.  One can learn so much about a culture by looking at what they celebrate,by what they esteem to be important.  And on a lighter note, I was asking my neighbor when her daughter was born.  She responded December 26, Boxing Day.  I guess I looked at her rather funny and she said, "Don't you celebrate Boxing Day in the US?"  I told her I didn't think it was celebrated anywhere outside of Great Britain and her once colonies.  She seemed shocked!
     Languages are so interesting.  Having English neighbors is enlightening when it comes to vocabulary.  We do speak the same language but  . . .  I find myself saying things like, "I'd fancy a cup of tea right now," or speaking of car parts as the boot and the bonnet.  There are lorries, not trucks; trollies, not carts; and I'm finally getting the hang of meters and kilometers, instead of yards and miles. 
     But I'm still quite American in more than just language!  I have missed some of my favorite TV shows.  When I tried to access them online, I would get a message saying that these programs can only be watched in the US.  So I did a google search to see if there was anyway to get around this. And, of course, there is - for a price.  There are some apps that can be downloaded that will give your computer a US address so you can "fool" the US websites into believing that you are in the US.  So now I can watch "Dancing with the Stars" (the French and English versions are on TV here), "Bull", "Hawaii 5-O", "Scorpion" and "McGuyer".   Even Hulu can only be watched from a US address.
     At this point let me talk about food.  McDonald's are everywhere, but they are a lot classier here than in the US.  The French have turned "fast food" into more like a restaurant experience and some of the buildings are wonderful.  There's a French restaurant chain called "The Buffalo Grill".  They serve American style food - barbeque ribs, onion rings, baked potatoes with sour cream, hamburgers and steaks.  It's actually really good.  So when I find myself in need of some American style food, I do have some options.  What I really miss is Mexican and Southwest American foods.  The grocery stores have "Mexican Product" sections with Old El Paso kits for fajitas and enchiladas.  Guess I could try that.
Inside a McDonalds

Outside a 2 Story McDonalds
     There's always something new that comes along to peak my interest and give me something to write about.  Sorry this is a day late, but I just wasn't in the mood to sit and write yesterday.  After almost two weeks of morning fog that would last until noon, we finally had sunny blue skies and I had to get out and enjoy it.  And look what I saw on the side of the road?

Now that's not something you usually see anywhere!

Just hanging out on the side of the road!

     As always, I thank you all and appreciate you all so much - for your kind words of encouragement and support.  I'm so glad that you are all along for the ride!  Merci!
   

2 comments:

  1. Update on Whiskers: My parents are IN LOVE with her! They treat her like a queen. I think she can feel the love...she's quite happy! She has sung for them! They were so excited to hear that. They love watching her be active in the evenings. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your weekly adventures and photos! My weekly adventure last week was: continue renovation of downstairs bathroom, sewer cleaned out and having 3 fence posts replaced. Sorry, no photos. Debbie Swayne

    ReplyDelete