Sunday, October 9, 2016

La Vie Quotidienne or Everyday Life

   First let me say "Hallelujah!' my bankcard came!  It is a three step process by mail. First I got the official paperwork telling me my account number and the bank routing number, etc.  Two days later I got the bankcard, but am still waiting on the letter that will give me the PIN that goes with the bankcard.  So, yes, I do officially have a bank account, but no, I can't use the card quite yet.  Baby steps . . .
     Many of you are curious as to what I do every day so I thought I would give you an idea of what my life is like in France at this moment.
     The first thing that happens every morning (after I throw on some appropriate clothing) is that I take CoCo out for a walk to "do her business".  We walk around the house to the parking area so she can look for the cats along the way.  When we got here a month ago, it was still warm enough in the mornings that a sundress worked for our walk, but now it's much cooler and I have been throwing on sweats.  It does warm up once the sun comes out.
     When we get back I feed CoCo (they sell Pedigree here) and I do my morning stretches while she eats and my tea water heats up.  Then I fix my tea, grab a croissant, butter and jam, and turn on British TV to find out what's been happening in the world while I was sleeping.  It's very interesting (and refreshing) to get the news from a perspective that is not American!
     Once I'm fed and dressed and ready to face the day, here are some events that might happen:
***Going to the grocery store:   I really like the Carrefour grocery chain (the one that likes my American debit card).  You can buy any kind of liquor that your heart desires, and you can even do your laundry while shopping as there are coin operated machines just outside the entrance.   If you are buying a lot of items and need a cart you will have to pay 1 euro for it.  And you better bring your own bags and be prepared to bag your own groceries as the cashiers do not do that for you.  Eggs and milk products (except for cheeses) are not refrigerated.  They are on the shelves just like boxes and cans.  And, speaking of cans, you will not find any canned soups in France.  Soup comes in boxes (like chicken broth - except you can't find chicken broth in France) or it comes in packets to which you add water.
     I did some research before I left the States about the availability of Dr Pepper in France and everything I read said that it was only distributed in the UK but not on the continent.  But, guess what?  My Carrefour store has a section of foods from other countries and right there on the shelf for the UK products (along with some really strange items!) are cans of Dr Pepper!  Boy, was I happy to see that.  I could also find peanut butter there.  The French have never warmed up to peanut butter.
*** Lunch:  I either make a ham and cheese croissant sandwich or find a local restaurant to try out or even one in another village.  On the occasion that I should find myself in the larger town of Auch (about 30 minutes away) I will stop at the McDonalds for a cheeseburger, fries and a coke.  Here are some observations of the French McDonalds -  you place your order on a digital screen just inside the door. There are usually 8-10 of these. It is very easy to use and you can either pay with a card on the machine or mark the icon that you will pay the cashier.  Then it will ask you what section you plan to sit in.  The restaurant is clearly marked with numbers.  Your receipt (once you have paid either on the screen or at the cashier) will have the section number printed on it.  Then you go find a seat and a staff person will serve you your meal on a tray and wish you "Bon Appetit".  Ever so civilized!  The beef tastes fresher than in the US.  The fries are a little crispier and the drinks have very little ice.  (and no such thing as free refills)  Or I'll use the "McDrive" and get it to go.
***Going to a movie:  There is a small one-auditorium theater in my little village of Vic.  They show a different movie each night!  But the larger theater in Auch has 9 screens and shows 9 different movies.  But their times are really limited.  Some movies may only be shown once in the evening while others might be shown in the afternoon.  I decided to go see "Les 7 Mercinaires" a couple of weeks ago.  That's the "Magnificent 7".   The lobby of the theater also has a small bistro set up so you can get a meal before or after the movie if you want, including alcohol, of course.  But concessions are obviously not of any importance to the French!  There were six or seven people in front of me buying tickets and not one of them bought any snacks.  But then, I didn't want their sugar popcorn either! That's all they had and then a few choices of candy with bottled Cokes, Orangina or water.  No buttered popcorn!!!!  Yes, the movie was in French which was pretty entertaining - hearing Denzel and the other Old West Cowboys speaking French - well, I was amused.
***I have found a restaurant in the neighboring town of Condom (that's actually it's name) that I have been to three times now.  It's a crepe restaurant adjacent to the old cathedral.  The food is wonderful and the view can't be beat.  For about $15 I can get a ham and cheese crepe that fills my plate, a side salad, a chocolate dessert crepe and a Coke.  You don't tip in France which is nice.  You don't have to end your meal doing math!  And dogs are allowed in most restaurants so CoCo gets to come with me.

The restaurant and view to which I am addicted

*** In the afternoon, I may choose to visit a nearby historical sight, watch some French TV, read a French magazine, or read my kindle while drinking some ice tea which I make myself.  Ice tea is not a European thing.  They sell Lipton ice tea in cans and that's as close as you get.  Yuck!
***There's a wonderful French institution called the "tabac".  You can buy books, magazines, newspapers, candy and sodas, lottery tickets, stamps, stationary items, toys, postcards and cards.  I love browsing inside them.  That's where I buy my "Femme Actuelle" magazine (like a Redbook) and my French TV guide.
***It's oh so very French to grab a table at a bar/cafe, order something to drink and sit as long as you like reading your paper or magazine or visiting or just watching the world go by.  It's lovely!
***Driving and parking:  In towns the speed limit is usually 50 k/h (30 mph) but once outside a town it shoots up to 90 k/h (about 55 mph) and it doesn't matter what kind of road you're on.  It could be a well-marked two lane highway with passing lanes or it can be a mountain road barely wide enough for one car let alone two and with switchbacks every 200 feet!  You are expected to use common sense!  Or fear!  And you can park on either side of the street going either direction as long is it's a marked parking space.  And if it isn't marked it's fairly common to see cars up on the sidewalks!

Notice the road and then notice the speed limit upper left!

***Dinner is usually simple.  An omelet with fried potatoes and sliced tomatoes is wonderful.  Or a precooked quiche or croque monsieur sandwich from Carrefour with coleslaw or a salad.  And the best dessert is either ice cream or a pain au chocolat (like a croissant with chunks of dark chocolate baked into it.
***Evening TV:  British TV is funny.  There are a few UK shows that are fun.  I have recently found
"Strictly Come Dancing" which is like our Dancing with the Stars.  And there are equivalents of some of our HGTV and Food Network shows.  But the only American shows I've found are 20 - 30 years old!  Like Columbo and MASH, Dr Quinn Medicine Woman.  They even seem to prefer their old series to anything modern.  Many of the older British shows that appear on our PBS stations are being shown here.   And I'm still trying to figure out French TV whose shows will begin at odd times such as 5 or 10 minutes after the hour.  Or 25 or 40 minutes after.  I do like their nature series!
     So, that's how my days usually look.  This week I'll be busy finding a car.  I've been searching online and checking them out that way.  I definitely want an automatic.  Driving a stick is becoming tedious!  Especially on these little winding roads, and it will be even worse once I move closer to the mountains!  And automatics are not easy to come by in Europe!  So my choices - in my price range - are quite limited.  I'll let you know next week how it went.  Keep your fingers crossed for me!
     As always I want you to know how grateful I am that you take the time to read my blog.  I know your days are busy and there are a ton of things that take up your time.  So I feel very special that you are willing to take the time for me.  Thank you so much for joining me on this amazing journey!  Merci, mes amis!

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you keep busy all day. Can you take snacks with you into the movie theater or is that frowned at like here. I would miss my buttered popcorn. Good luck with the car shopping. enjoying the blog very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pain au chocolate - my favorite. I'd be in heaven and as big as a barn! Enjoy them for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving your blog and seeing all your pictures. Truly makes me want to go back to France. :)

    ReplyDelete