Sunday, August 14, 2016

Becoming a "French" French Poodle

     If you are a regular reader of this blog you remember that I had to go to the French Consulate in Los Angeles in order to apply for a residency visa for the eight months I will be at the cottage.  While I was visiting with the French mademoiselle behind the glass I asked her about bringing my dog into the country.  She referred me to the French Embassy website where the regulations are all described.


     Shortly before my trip to LA I had read an article in my International Living magazine about taking a dog or cat to Europe and they gave pretty much the same info as the Embassy website.  The first couple of regulations were not a big deal.  I needed to get CoCo micro-chipped which I had planned to do anyway.  But Europe requires the 15 number non-encrypted type.  Then, after that was implanted, she had to get a rabies booster.  I guess so that when they scan her chip at customs the rabies vaccination date will show up.
     She has to have an international (meaning English/French) health certificate issued no more than ten days before arrival in France.  And then with the certificate in hand I must take it to the USDA office (in Denver) to be officially stamped.  But here's where the tricky part comes in . . . .
     When the vet tech asked about our flight itinerary she was concerned about the overnight layovers.  And I hadn't even thought of that when I made the reservations.  I thought I would be doing both me and CoCo a huge favor by not flying all the way through from Colorado Springs to Toulouse.  I was looking forward to a respite from constant airplane/airport possible twenty hours of CoCo in a carrier and me carting her around all that time.  It seemed to me that breaking up the legs of the trip would be helpful.
     The first issue is that I may need to visit the USDA office in Houston since the actual international flight segment originates in Texas.  The second issue is that we will be flying into and going through customs in Frankfort, Germany.  So I may need two international health certificates - one in German and one in French.  The vet tech is supposed to call me tomorrow and let me know what she found out.  Fortunately, she has worked on these certificates for all over the world for many years.  I suppose because Colorado Springs is such a big military town there would be lots of people moving and taking pets overseas.
     I think it's funny that France is so very concerned about the health of my dog, but seems to have no cares about whether or not I'm bringing in any diseases!  Although, within a week of arriving in France I have to visit a local doctor for a physical routine to verify that I'm healthy enough to stay in the country.  And CoCo has to visit a vet within 48 hours of arrival so that a French vet can verify what the US vet and the French customs official have already certified.  Oh my!!!
     CoCo has no idea that any of this is happening which is probably a good thing.  I know it will all work out, but what a hassle this has been over a little 7 lb dog.  At least she gets to be in the cabin with me.  I can't imagine transporting a dog in the cargo hold of a plane for ten hours.  That just seems cruel to me.  She has to stay in her carrier, but at least she's with me.  We did a trial run in April when we went to Delaware for a wedding.  The longest flight segment was four hours and she did great.  I keep telling myself that dogs can't tell time so she won't realize it's ten hours!
     People have asked about drugs or how she will go potty or getting her food and water, etc.  I found a homeopathic liquid that's given in a dropper that is very effective for calming her.  It actually works better than the drugs (pills) that the vet gave her for a car trip I took her on.  Those made her really thirsty and in the car is was no problem to give her water and then stop for her to go potty.  But that won't work on a plane.
     She is very good at night and never needs to go outside.  I take her out for the last time around 8:30pm and then she's good til we get up the next morning at 8.  So I'm not worried about that issue.  No food or water less than three hours before the flight and none during the flight (again, she doesn't need to eat or drink during the night so I'm sure she'll be fine).  Fortunately, when we're not on the plane I can take her out of the carrier and can carry her around in the airport.  I could let her walk, but she's so little I'm afraid with all the foot traffic and bags being pulled all over that she could get hurt or, at the least, stressed.
     I'm so glad that I have the Global Entry Pass which gives me permanent TSA precheck on all flights originating in the US.  So I can use that privilege in Houston when checking in for the flight to Frankfort.  That will cut down on some of our airport wait time. 
     So, that's what I've been dealing with the past couple of weeks.  Everything is set for ME, but I'm waiting on getting everything in place for CoCo!
     I have a friend who asked me how I found out all this information about moving requirements and travel requirements.  My answer is: I do my homework!  It's so easy now to "google" any question you have and find the answers.  But first and foremost, you must go to the embassy website for the country you plan to visit and find out their requirements.  Most European countries have the same regulations, but you never know until you ask.  Never take anything for granted.
     One more thing about CoCo.  Once I finally get her to France and have her visit the local vet, he/she can issue CoCo a "Pet Passport".  This will allow me to take her anywhere in Europe without having to check her in with every country's custom official.  YAY!!  So glad they have that.
     Just another bend in the road.   It's all good, as they say, and I am so excited I can hardly stand it!!
We leave two weeks from tomorrow and everything has fallen into place.  I even have a buyer for my car, thanks to Stacy!  Boy, I owe her so much.  She has provided my "temporary home", and now a buyer for my Toyota.  I feel extremely blessed in so many ways.  And especially because I actually am able to follow my dream and live out this fantasy.  It hasn't been quick or easy, but I am finally doing it!
     And you have all been with me from the beginning of this journey.  Thank you so much.  Never fear, the journey will continue in France (as will the blog!).  Merci!!!

4 comments:

  1. I'm jealous. Everything sounds so adventurous. Just knowing what to do, making the right questions and then knowing where to find the answers makes it all easier. Thanks for your knowledge. It helps us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited keep following your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super! When you return to the States next year, will you have to jump through the same hoops?
    I've seen some pet owners using potty pads in the airport restrooms during layovers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Potty pads is a great idea!! If I buy a place in France I am hoping I can leave her with a housesitter. If she has to come back with me it will be double paperwork - getting her back to the US and then taking her back to France! Also, if I don't buy then I will have to go back to LA to the consulate to get another visa! So hoping to avoid both of those things. And, of course, I'd love to own a place in France :-)

      Delete