Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Packing and Visiting and Packing and Visiting

     The past few weeks and this week leading up to my August 29 departure (!) has been filled with the last few things I need to do to be totally ready.  And most of the things on my list have to do with packing and visiting.
     I decided to box and mail some books and other heavier items so that my suitcases will be a little more manageable.  I will be the one lifting them in and out of the rental car after we get to France and I'd like to save my back!  I mailed two boxes yesterday and have one more that will get mailed just before I leave.  I'm keeping that one in case I can't fit everything in my suitcases that I think I can.
     I have a 26 inch and a 24 inch suitcase.  The larger one has all my winter clothes, coats, boots, etc in it along with a smaller carry-on that will be very handy for short travels once I'm in France.  The smaller one will have my warmer weather clothes and shoes in it.  I'm down to six pairs of shoes and two purses!
In the midst of packing

     My two carry-ons will be a backpack and CoCo's carrier.  My backpack will have my travel documents, snacks, my lower back inflatable pillow, and three changes of clothes for the two over night layovers.  My travel purse fits nicely in the backpack and it will have my kindle fire and my kindle reader along with the usual things one needs for air travel. My purse is cross body and works well for when I'm in the airport.  When I'm ready to board it goes in the backpack, but comes out again once I've boarded and the backpack goes overhead.  CoCo has to go under the seat in front of me.  And the backpack has a nice padded section for my lap top.
     I have collapsible food/water containers for CoCo's needs and will put her favorite toys and blanket in her carrier.  I have some homeopathic liquid "valium" for her and will also put her in her thunder shirt.  I did that the last time I had her on a plane and I think that helped quite a lot.
     The vet tech was finally able to find out exactly what is needed for CoCo's travel documents.  She had her vet check yesterday and I got all the necessary documents.  Tomorrow I have an appointment at the USDA office in Denver to get the official stamp.  And then, she should be all set!
     So penned in my planner - around all the packing and errands, I have tried to get in lots of visits with friends, family and church family.  I have had my usual monthly/weekly visits with Beth and Renae.  My cousin, Sara, came from Texas Sunday to spend a little time with me and with Cindy and Mary Ann.  I have had lunch and/or dinner with some of my favorite older church family members.  Some of whom are no longer able to come to church.  Also, lunches with other favorite people who wanted to wish me well.
    Last Saturday, my HS girlfriends dedicated our monthly lunch to me and my move to France.  There were 14 of them who came to wish me well and give me hugs.  My "Moving to France" party is Saturday from 2-6 and it sounds like there may be about 100 people coming during those 4 hours!  I feel very blessed to have so many wonderful friends and family who are sending me off with the best thoughts, prayers and wishes. 
     Sorry this is late - I usually try to get the posts done on Sundays and hopefully I'll get back to that routine once I'm settled in France.  I will try to get one more post done before I leave the States.  I fly from the Springs to Houston Monday morning and then will spend the night there.  I will get to see my Aunt and cousin, Pat, that night!  So glad to get the chance to visit with them before I leave Tuesday afternoon for the flight to Frankfort.  I'm hoping that Monday night I'll have some time for a short blog post - my last one in the US!
     Tomorrow is busy.  I drive to Denver in the morning for the USDA appointment.  Then back to the Springs to meet Cindy for lunch at 12:30.  At 4:30 my car will change ownership and at 5:30 I'll take Whiskers to her new home.  Friday morning Cindy and I will head to the zoo - the last time for me this year!  Then we will be getting things ready for the party, finishing up with packing, doing laundry, and cleaning and clearing all of my stuff out of the condo. 
     It means so much to me that so many of you have joined me on this journey!  Thank you for taking the time to read my posts and for offering comments and encouragement all along the way.  Merci!!

5 comments:

  1. Can't wait to read about your adventures! Sorry, I couldn't make it work to say good bye in person. Bon Voyage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're an amazing lady Candy! Its crazy that you are making such a major life change! By crazy I mean, so few people have the courage to follow their heart and their dream...that those of us that watch the rare person that does...watch in wonder and amazement, and truthfully envy! I wish I had gotten to know you better, I wanted to, but its fun following your journey. Good tidings and God speed my friend! And thanks for your wisdom in the past! Greg :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're an amazing lady Candy! Its crazy that you are making such a major life change! By crazy I mean, so few people have the courage to follow their heart and their dream...that those of us that watch the rare person that does...watch in wonder and amazement, and truthfully envy! I wish I had gotten to know you better, I wanted to, but its fun following your journey. Good tidings and God speed my friend! And thanks for your wisdom in the past! Greg :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like everything is coming together very nicely! What a wonderful thing it is to follow your dreams! I'm very excited for you! Blessings and love go with you on your journey and as you establish routines in your new life! God speed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great adventure. Need your contact info for France. We will be over there next year and would like to get together. Email me at fishhawk50@yahoo.com. Bon voyage!

    ReplyDelete